Saturday, June 03, 2006

Odds, Ends, and Lester Holt

I just saw Coastlines, a just-released-but-not-new movie actually filmed in 2002, directed by Victor Nunez (of Ulee's Gold fame). A lot of critics have commented on its somewhat John Sayles- feel, and the NY Times didn't think much of it. I must say, I really thought it was pretty good, though some of the criticisms in the times review were not unwarranted. It sort of makes me wish I had cable so I could watch Deadwood, because Timothy Olyphant is one of the best actors working today. His performance in Coastlines was less creepy-cocky and more creepy-quiet than in Go (a movie I admit really liking even though it resembles a kind of teen-aged Pulp Fiction with all the good stylized elements filtered through some sort of MTV Movie Awards carnival meat grinder), and as an aside, he's got the whitest whites-of-the-eyes I think I've ever seen. I must mention his oddly unsettling yet sexy presence as I "think on it often." He was even good in Dreamcatcher, which was basically a movie about bloody diarrhea aliens. Also, he was somehow born in 1968, which is, to me, kind of unbelievable. Thanks, IMDB!

In short, see Coastlines!

(Also: the people who comment on IMDB are totally weird)

In other news, I'm pretty sure I saw Lester Holt, local NY news anchor, in the Barnes and Noble in Greenwich Village today. It remains unclear.

This weather is awful and makes EVERYTHING sweat and/or smell bad.

I kind of want to see Dreamcatcher again, now that I'm thinking about it. Wasn't it weird how the dude inside the dude's head had a british accent, but the dude himself didn't, even though it was the same dude? DID ANYONE EVEN UNDERSTAND WHAT I JUST TYPED?

5 Comments:

Blogger lanyard said...

TOTALLY! THE GUY WITH RED HAIR! Creepy.

Also, Timothy Olyphant rules my face off on Deadwood. You should come over and watch it on Sunday nights. Or: whenever you want On Demand.

Yes, everyone, I have excellent taste and AM RICH.

3:38 PM  
Blogger K said...

WAIT...YESSSS! Everything this summer on sunday night is a rerun!!! But I don't know the story and it'll take me ever such a long time to get caught up. Doh.

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait, that's not supposed to sound anti-semetic. it's supposed to sound pro-semetic. or i guess just 'semetic.'

1:31 PM  
Blogger lanyard said...

Dawg, we can totally rent Season 1 or watch it on demand if it's all on there. I would totally have a Deadwood marathon until my eyeballs fall outsky. I can also recap for you when questions arise, through the pausical magicks of TiVO!

Deadwood summer-Sundays... CATCH THE HEAT WAVE! (The clap.)

1:47 PM  
Blogger K said...

We were talking about Deadwood, not Gilmore Girls. Those c**ks**kers.

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home