Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Awesome Awesome Invite Them Up! CD Release Party

As I watch coverage of Nick and Jessica's impending divorce, I'm reminded of how great it can be when people come together, like at last night's Invite Them Up! CD release party at the Bowery Ballroom, for example. Also, there were CELEBS!!!!! The show ran pretty long, but overall it was a great time. Eugene did some of his newer material that he had tweaked a little. Um, lots of other stuff happened. Great recap! But I really enjoyed Chelsea Peretti's set; she's awesome and it was a kind of testosteroney (that's a kind of macaroni made with testosterone, I think) atmosphere, as I think it can be quite frequently at some comedy shows. She made a "joke" about getting much less time on the cd than David Wain, and I personally felt that rang true as a criticism of the comedy "scene" in NY in general. Wow, way to bring everyone down, me.

1 Comments:

Blogger lanyard said...

As your companion at that show (and in life), I must agree about Tes-tos-ter-oni, the NY Comedy Treat (TM)! It seems like a shitty cycle: few women are gutsy enough to be on a bill like that and the few who are probably get fewer laffs than they should, so knowing that they get more nervous and are less funny than they could be, thus perpetuating the stereotype that women aren't funny and then aren't invited to play events like that or else have to know the dudes running it to get the token-lady slot (huh huh) that everyone just expects to be unfunny. That wasn't explained as a "cycle" very well, but domestic violence definitely is one. A cycle that is. My boyfo only hits me because I do stupid things and make him angry.

JK!!! No one would ever date me.

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home